I love the Pioneer Woman. But I also kind of hate her, because she is just so darn good at cooking, baking, photography, and being pioneer-esque. I have resigned myself to knowing that I will never match her level of skill in the kitchen, but her recipes are so darn tasty looking that I have to try.
So when I saw her recipe for Lemon Blueberry Pancakes, I knew I would have to give it my best shot. Now, not to brag or anything, but I’m the self-professed pancake queen. I make pancakes from scratch at least twice a week, and I’m now a pancake snob. Pancakes out of a box? Pish posh. No boxed pancake mix will grace my griddle!
I gathered my ingredients and got to work.
- 1-1/2 cup Cake Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1-1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (more If Needed)
- 1 whole Lemon (more If Needed)
- 1 whole Large Egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Heaping Blueberries
- Extra Butter
- Maple Or Pancake Syrup
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat. (This is critical for perfect pancakes. Low and slow is the way to go! Don’t rush perfection, people.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar).
- In a separate bowl, mix evaporated milk (I used Fat Free regular milk!), juice of one lemon, and lemon zest (I skipped the zest. I tossed the lemons in the garbage disposal before I remembered to zest them!). Let sit for five minutes. Then add egg, vanilla, melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir to combine. Throw in your blueberries and stir gently. Toss a pat of butter onto your griddle and let it melt.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto your griddle and smell the heaven that is Lemon Blueberry Pancakes. Fry them ’til they’re golden.